Monday, April 27, 2009

Second Life...Who Knew?


As I stared at my girlfriend create her own avatar for her gamer profile on Xbox 360

the other night, I just couldn't get why she was so amused! I mean, she wasn't playing a game, she was just creating a person who looked like her in order to interact with other users. And the closer she made the avatar look like her, the more fun she had.



This is the trend that is known as Second Life. It is an escape from the real world into the virtual world, but with real world money, and some fake money as well. Complicated? Yeah, well, it gets better. Users can shop, buy real estate, attend concerts, go to lectures at Harvard, all at the genius of this Second Life world. For myself, I have to admit, this world is a bit creepy, but at the same time, it has my attention, and I want to learn more. For example, how does one like Anshe Chung become a millionare through this life?

It seems to me that second life has been around ever since the Nintendo ages. People could plug in a game and fly a spaceship or slay a dragon. But now, people are playing the same types of games, but being themselves in the process. Why do you have to pretend to be someone else in a virtual world when you can be your virtual self? It's a great trend that is taking place and one to watch as not only individuals, but companies start realizing the potential in this market.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you in that I think if people were to just create their own virtual self as opposed to pretending to be someone else, the whole concept of Second Life might be easier to get behind.

    I just think more people are interested in being portrayed as better, prettier, stronger, smarter, etc. And that comes with no sense of reality.

    ReplyDelete