Monday, April 13, 2009

Another Way to Use Linkedin



I have read several ways of using Linkedin and they all seem to be unique an interesting ways of networking.....and I want to add another, with a service called glassdoor.com (vault.com's simpler cousin).



As I finish up my MBA experience, I am doing the job search as so many of our classmates are, and one of the opportunities that I am interviewing for is a position in which I have subject matter experience but no job experience. So one of the things I wanted to know was what kind of career path would a person in this particular position follow? Therefore, I went to Linkedin and searched for this position and found career paths that were very much of interest to me as I was initially hesitant of what one could do later on in their careers with this position, even though it sounded like a great fit. Then to better understand the company from the viewpoint of the employees, I went to glassdoor.com, which I find to have better and more commentary than vault.com. I believe the reason for this is that vault.com is not free and can be quite pricey if you subscribe for a long period of time. Glassdoor.com only requires that you submit a review of a company that you've worked for to gain access, which helps understand the volume of reviews on the site and understand why a lot of people check it for reviews of companies at least.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to Glassdoor. That's really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great resource. I'm not currently looking for a job, but I know i've wanted to use Vault.com in the past especially when it came time for salary review. However, I opted not to due to the fees. Thanks for provided us with this information. I find the salary piece especially useful as now I am trying to create new positions at the company I work for which is a small business of less than 50 people. It is helpful to know the range as well and job information to create an appropriate title, description and salary range.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of glassdoor.com sounds very interesting and seems like a very innovative way of setting up a job search. The fact that you can submit a review of a company that you worked for as a requirement is interesting and will help a lot of young job searchers to have a first hand review of what the company they would like to work for entails.

    ReplyDelete